According to Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddhism, there are seven energy centers inside the human body. Chakra is the term for these energetic vortexes in Eastern spiritual traditions. The word means "wheel" in Sanskrit.
Eastern spiritual traditions say the chakra system spans the length of our bodies. It starts in the lower spinal column and rises to the head's crown.
People feel calm, relaxed, and happy when their chakra system works well. Others experience anxiety, fear, depression or physical illness when they have blocked chakra energy. In today's guide, you'll learn about the seven chakras in Eastern traditions. You'll also receive tips to help you balance them.
1. Balancing The Root Chakra
Muladhara, or the Root Chakra, is the energetic system's foundation. Its physical location rests in the lower spine, near the perineum and groin area. This chakra provides a sound structure that helps energy flow smoothly through the body's chakra system. It connects human beings with their senses and our natural world. A blockage in the Root Chakra can disrupt all other chakras.
The Root Chakra regulates innate humanity's self-preservation and survival instinct. This energy centers people, helping them to feel safe, calm, and confident. The chakra encourages us to explore our world. Muladhara inspires humans to tackle difficult challenges and accomplish goals. The root chakra has a calming, grounding, earth-based energy. It provides a solid base to help us embrace life.
Hinduism associates several symbols with the Root Chakra. The first one is the red, four-petaled lotus with a centered, yellow square. Another symbol associated with this chakra is the elephant. The body's source of kundalini energy also resides here.
Signs of Imbalance: Any imbalanced chakra can change someone's emotions, behavior, and thoughts. A Root Chakra imbalance may cause someone to act out of character. For example, a stable individual can become anxious, unreliable, or short-tempered. The person can also be afraid of showing his/her true self to other people. Here are signs of a Root Chakra imbalance:
Symptoms may include:
- Insecurity, low self-confidence
- Unhealthy relationship with food
- Greedy and money obsessed
- Paranoia, trust issues (doesn't trust others or self)
- Workaholic tendencies
- Sensitivity to threats
- Anxiety, nervousness, inability to concentrate
- Anger issues
- Worries about not having/being enough.
- Fears losing control
- Physical symptoms (back pain, lethargy, gastrointestinal issues, leg pain, cold hands)
How to Balance
- Wear or Hold Red-Colored Stones - Hinduism, Buddhism, and several religions associate the color red with the Root Chakra. To unblock the Root Chakra, wear red-colored stones like red jasper, red carnelian, obsidian, or bloodstone.
- Improve Your Diet - Eat protein-rich foods to give you physical strength like tofu, spinach, and greens. Dine on red foods to that provide vitamin C. Eat grounding, root vegetables like garlic, beets, and potatoes.
- Use Daily Meditation and Visualization - Incorporate simple meditative practices, like pranayama, to center yourself. Imagine a red circular light. Slowly expand the circle until it warms the entire region.
- Repeat Affirmations - Use affirmation (positive statements) throughout the day, every time you feel a blockage in the area. For example, "My needs will always be met," or "I am safe, secure, and happy."
2. Balancing The Sacral Chakra
Svadhisthana, or the Sacral Chakra, is the driving force of people's creative potential, sensuality, and artistry. It is the second chakra. The energy center fuels our emotions, creativity, and imagination. Svadhisthana is responsible for our sex drive, sensual nature, and potential to change. The primary location for the sacral chakra is the central abdomen, three inches below the navel.
The Sacral Chakra is a water-based element. Its symbol is the six-petaled orange flower with the tattva aspect for water, in its center. The crocodile is another symbol for the second chakra.
When well balanced, this chakra increases creativity, playfulness, and self-confidence. This energy inspires people to produce new inventions or artistic masterpieces. This chakra can cause some individuals to become overly sensitive when it's imbalanced.
Signs of Imbalance - The Sacral Chakra becomes blocked when you receive criticism about creative projects or sexual-related issues.
Signs of a sacral chakra imbalance include:
- Lacks creative inspiration
- Fears change
- Easily offended by others
- Guilt about the past
- Envy and Jealousy
- Addictive behaviors (overspending, overeating, and drug addiction)
- Physical symptoms (bladder issues, low libido, worsening allergies, fatigue)
How to Balance
- Wear Orange Stones and Jewelry - Special stones can balance your Sacral Chakra energy. Use orange calcite (balances creativity), peach moonstone (stimulates the mind), carnelian (connects creativity with artistry), and citrine (increase self-esteem).
- Use Meditation and Visualization - Close your eyes and breath deeply. Imagine an orange light. Envision the light circulating clockwise from your Sacral Chakra. Imagine the warm energy enveloping your entire body.
- Eat Balancing Foods - The Sacral Chakra's color is orange. Select produce that's orange-colored to balance this energy center. Choose fruits high in Vitamin C like oranges, peaches, papayas, and mangos. Other good choices are coconuts, seeds, broths, and teas.
- Use Affirmations - Repeat affirmations daily like "I am a powerful, creative person." These statements will help open your Sacral Chakra area.
3. Balancing The Solar Plexus Chakra
Manipura is the Solar Plexus Chakra. It sits near the top of the abdomen, near the stomach. The third chakra fuels people's self-esteem, independence, individuality, and inner drive. This energy center inspires people to work for their goals.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is a fire-based element. Yellow is the color associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra. The chakra's symbol has ten petals with the tattva fire aspect shown as a red triangle.
Signs of Imbalance: Failures, bad social experiences and low self-worth can block this chakra. Small blockages will cause someone to be insecure in certain areas of their life. Large blockages will cause deeper self-esteem issues.
The signs of a solar plexus imbalance include:
- Competitive, controlling or intolerant behaviors
- Fatigue and laziness
- Insecurity, anxiety, fear
- Low body weight
- Lack of confidence
- Poor self-image
- Inability to focus
- Physical symptoms: stomach ulcers, diabetes, indigestion, eating disorders, gastrointestinal illnesses
How to Balance
- Use Targeted Stones - You can heal this chakra by using several stones that will balance the Solar Plexus Chakra. These include yellow ones like citrine (increases self-esteem), amber (boosts confidence), yellow tourmaline (eliminates negativity), and Tiger's Eye.
- Eat Solar Plexus Healing Foods - Add foods like bananas, yellow peppers, cheeses, sunflower seeds, ginger, chamomile, cumin, and mint.
- Meditation and Visualization - Envision a yellow light over your solar plexus that expands to envelop your whole body.
- Use Affirmations - "I forgive myself for past mistakes."
4. Healing The Heart Chakra
Anahata, or the Heart Chakra, reflects a person's capacity for love and compassion in all areas. Vedic scholars say the energy source connects the mind, body, and spirit. This third chakra sits above the heart. This chakra exemplifies calmness, balance, and serenity.
The Heart Chakra is an air element. The antelope is its associated symbol. Green is the primary color for the heart chakra. The Anahata chakra has peaked circles around a six-pointed star. People experience deep inner peace when their heart chakra is balanced. They feel their emotions fully and understands them at a cognitive level. Additionally, they feel empathy for other people.
Signs of Imbalance: Any negative experience can affect the Heart Chakra. These issues include cruel words, personal losses, grief, disappointments, and depression. Bad relationships and toxic friendships are other issues that block this chakra.
The signs of a Heart Chakra imbalance are:
- Difficulty trusting others
- Unsympathetic toward others
- Physical symptoms (increased blood pressure, decreased immune system function, insomnia).
How to Balance: Here are some steps that will heal heart chakra energy.
- Wear Healing Stones - Choose green stones like jade (emotional healing), green aventurine (soothes negative emotions), and green calcite (absorbs negativity). A non-green stone that heals this chakra is rose quartz (helps persons regain balance). Healers call this the heart stone.
- Heart Chakra Meditation - Use mindfulness exercises and visualization. Sit down, relax, and breathe quietly or a few minutes. Imagine green energy radiating from your heart area and enveloping your body.
- Eat Heart Chakra Foods - Healthy, healing foods are green ones including kale, limes, green peppers, spinach, collards, and apples. Bone broth can help your body fight off illnesses if this chakra is imbalanced. Additionally, fruits rich in Vitamin C like strawberries, blueberries, and citrus juices can promote healing.
- Eliminate Stress - Reduce the negative influences of other people. Change negative thinking and limiting beliefs. Use positive affirmation to change your thinking patterns.
5. Balancing The Throat Chakra
The fifth chakra is Vishuddha or the Throat Chakra. It controls people's speech, self-expression, authenticity, and emotional honesty. The energy center's physical location resides in the middle of the throat.
The Throat Chakra is an ether-based element (akasha). White elephants symbolize this energetic center. The chakra's symbol is a white color with sixteen purple or smoke-colored petals. The flower has a downward triangle with a white, circular tattva aspect that represents akasha.
People speak clearly and appropriately when their Throat Chakra is well balanced. They express themselves honestly without being mean.
Signs of Imbalance: Many Throat Chakra imbalances occur because of painful experiences involving communication. These include criticism, demeaning words, and insults.
Here are signs The Throat Chakra is imbalanced.
- Difficulty speaking
- Can't describe your emotions well
- Holds onto secrets
- Believes that people don't know the real you
- Physical problems (a sore throat, stiff neck, or hormonal changes)
How to Balance
- Use Healing Stones - Balance your throat chakra with crystal stones. Select lapis lazuli (the stone of truth), aquamarine (courage), amazonite, and turquoise.
- Throat Chakra Meditation - Sit in a comfortable chair. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Relax your body. Envision a glowing, blue light spinning clockwise at your throat chakra. Imagine that it grows, allowing you to be honest and open. Allow the energy to disperse into your body.
- Eat Healing Foods - The Throat Chakra responds well to blueberries. Reduce your sugar intake. Add more whole grains, apples, oranges, and other nutritious foods. Spices like lemongrass and ginger will help cleanse and open the area. They also promote self-expression.
- Use Affirmations - Repeat calming affirmations throughout the day such as "I honor my true voice and emotions."
6. Balancing The Third Eye Chakra
Ajna, or the Third-Eye Chakra, helps people to use their intuition to connect with the universe. It is the sixth chakra. This energy center helps people find their life's purpose. The energy center also connects people to universal truth and knowledge. The Third Eye Chakra's physical location is in between the eyebrows.
The Third Eye Chakra's element is extra-sensory perception. The Vedas symbolize this chakra using a transparent lotus with two white petals. The color associated with this chakra is indigo. The black antelope is another symbol.
People attain their dreams and reach their highest potential when the Third Eye Chakra is well-balanced.
Signs of Imbalance: Individuals with imbalanced chakras can experience insomnia, learning issues, and clumsiness. These are common signs of a Third Eye Chakra Imbalance.
- Doesn't believe life has a purpose
- Feels life is meaningless
- Suffers from indecision
- Feels their life or work is insignificant
- Physical symptoms (headaches, migraines, eye issues, back pain, leg pain, sinus problems).
How to Balance: Here are some steps to balance the Third Eye Chakra.
- Use Third Eye Chakra Stones - To balance the chakra, select stones like purple fluorite (sharpens intuition), amethyst (heals the third-eye), and black obsidian (balances emotions and reason).
- Third Eye Chakra Meditation - Close your eyes. Inhale and exhale. Concentrate on the chakra's area. Envision a growing, purple light above it. Use the energy to dissolve all fear, insecurity, and self-doubt. Allow the light to fill your body.
- Third-Eye Chakra Foods - Eat dark chocolate to open up your third eye. It promotes mental clarity. Dine on purple foods like eggplants, red grapes, blueberries, and purple cabbage. Other healing foods include omega-3 foods like walnuts, salmon, and fish.
- Use Affirmations - Repeat affirmations throughout the day such as, "I follow the guidance of my inner intuition."
Balancing The Crown Chakra
Sahasrara, or the Crown Chakra, is the highest energy center. This energy center helps people feel spiritually connected to the world. Vedic scholars call this chakra the "thousand petal lotus." The seventh chakra's physical location is the top of the head. It is the highest chakra. The crown chakras is a thought-based element. Sahasrara's symbols are the eagle and the color violet.
Signs of Imbalance: An imbalanced Crown Chakra will result in a feeling of depression and being spiritually adrift. These people may lose their motivation and fail to see the world's beauty. Common things that block the crown chakra include criticism, mid-life crises, and relationship conflicts. Here are symptoms of a Crown Chakra imbalance.
Overactive Crown Chakra
- Cynical Nature
- Disconnected spiritually
- Self-destructive tendencies
Underactive Crown Chakra
- Confusion about your motivations
Physical symptoms (poor coordination, chronic headaches, fatigue)
How to Balance
- Use Healing Stones - Select clear crystal quartz (boost energy and spiritual attunement); sugilite (spiritual grounding), and selenite (opens the Crown and Third Eye Chakra).
- Use Meditation Practices - Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Imagine a bright, violet light around the crown chakra. Let the light expand. Allow it to spread throughout your body.
- Nourish Your Chakra - Eat wholesome food that produces health. Select organic vegetables, whole grains, rice, and broth. Violet foods like eggplant, passionfruit, and red grapes are also good choices. Ginger cleanses the body and promotes spiritual clarity. Peppermint tea and other herbal drinks can help clear the chakra blockages.
- Affirmations - Another technique to balance your chakras is affirmations. Repeat these daily to increase your confidence. For example, "I am connected to the divine energy of the universe."
Healing your chakras can help you to connect with your life's purpose and balance your mind.